The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Friday 20 May 2011

Promised Poppies

"Promised Poppies" - that would be a good title for a quilt and I know just the pattern!

A couple of weeks ago I promised you that some lovely poppies would soon be out in my garden and
here they are -




Many of my friends favour poppies over all flowers, I love them but they are not my favourite flower - Pinks are my favourites, but I love their dramatic entrance!  One minute seemingly tight budded and they whoosh they appear!

The first thing I do every morning, after struggling from my bed, is to look out at the garden and see if they have burst their buds!  You can see from the photos that there are lots more to come, but I just couldn't wait to share them with you.

This variety is supposed to be Cedric Morris, named after the famous artist, but I have my doubts!  When I Google that name the poppy that appears looks different.  That often happens to me, someone recommends a certain named variety, I faithfully buy and plant it and it's something else entirely!

In this case I don't mind at all.  I love it's ragged edges and I don't even mind it's colour which I wouldn't have chosen.  My dear Mother used to miscall it Choral Pink, which I thinks sums up the effect these poppies make!

Now to the pattern - I have always liked Ruby McKim's floral patterns and I think this one would do my poppies justice -
 
Another bright idea to stifle at birth!  I have far too many other things to finish!


3 comments:

Robin said...

Lovely poppies. I love that ragged edge. I haven't seen one with that edge before. My poppies haven't bloomed yet. It's just been too stormy. We were awakened about 4:00am by a hail storm. It didn't last very long and the garden plants are still standing - thank goodness.

fabriquefantastique said...

those poppies are so flamboyant, If you wish see my blog today with an entirely different poppy.

Vivienne at Vivebooks said...

Hi Mary, These poppies were a delight yesterday - what a treat to see them in the 'flesh'. I have put a link on Rainbow Disks facebook page. Thanks for a great day - hard work but fun. Scrummy pizza and strawberries (sounds an odd combination but worked for us!). Can't wait to see the pix!