The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Saturday 19 February 2011

Red

I was reading another blog on the subject of red and thinking that it would be a good subject for a post, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement in the garden - my neighbour's ginger cat called "Red" jumped over my garden wall!  Who am I to overlook an omen!  Neither am I averse to pinching a good idea - we bloggers are always on the look out for something new to blog about!

I love the colour red, together with purple it's probably my favourite, but then I do like pale turquoise and I'm very fond of blue ----- well it's impossible because they all have their place, but red is definitely up there.



Of course red is a very Welsh colour, especially in our quilts.  Our Rugby and other national teams play in red and the Red Dragon is our national emblem.  However I feel that generally we are fairly timid using it in our homes.

This of course isn't confined to Wales - how many houses do you visit where rooms are mainly beige with shades of brown and maybe some black?  Red is rarely used, yet it works so well, goes with so many other colours and certainly lifts a room!

When in doubt - add some red I say!





8 comments:

Sue said...

I love red, maybe its the little bit of welsh blood in me. I wonder if their will be any welsh quilts in the exhibition in NYC. Lets hope their are some to fly the flag for Wales.

Cheryl said...

Red is probably in all my quilts of late. And purple! Wish I was going to the Red and White quilt show in NYC next month.

fabriquefantastique said...

red is always a pick me up....think a flash of red petticoat!

Susan Briscoe said...

I love red too! Have used it a lot in my quilts. I also love red stained or painted furniture, very Scandinavian style.

Turkey red is even better.

Anonymous said...

I love red, but I couldn't live with it all the time! Funnily enough, right now I am wearing my ridiculously big red cardi that goes down to my ankles at a couple of points. It's great but I have to be in the mood for it. I do have a certain amount of red in the quilt I made as our bedspread, which you can see at http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6273/dscf2060j.jpg. It gives a really cosy feeling to the room in winter. I'm currently working on a quilt which is mostly red, along with pink, a colour I've never liked, and it's being quite an interesting challenge!

The quilt that first got me interested in Welsh quilting was a gorgeous big red wholecloth that featured in one of Barbara Chainey's books. I still adore it, although I think my eyes might get tired staring at red all the time (I have weird visual problems) if I were to make one of my own.

I admit to having done up my home in neutrals, although it was my first flat and I think I'll be a bit bolder next time. But one of the things I love about quilts is how they can add a splash of colour, and if you're not in the mood for that colour that day, you just fold them up and put them away. Indeed, one of the reasons why I love making baby quilts is because it's a good excuse to go for madly vibrant colours.

Lovely quilt photos, as ever, and I've snaffled that last one as a good quilting motif.

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Glad you like the last quilt - it's the centre of one from my next book!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, what's the next book going to be about?

(This is Elettaria, by the way. I'm just signing in from my quilting blog instead.)

N E E D L E P R I N T said...

Dear Mary - sorry I can't find your email address. There is a sampler worked by Mary Treloar Jenkyn for auction. I have posted it on our blog: www.needleprintblogspot.com
Kindest regards, Jacqueline